Posts for category: dental emergency
How do you know if you might need a root canal? There are some noticeable signs and symptoms you need to know about. Having root canal therapy can save you from needless pain, and can save your tooth and your smile. Drs. Joseph and Theodore Gargano at Gargano Family Dentistry in North Haven, CT, offer root canal therapy to help you and your smile.
You will need root canal therapy when the innermost layer of your tooth, an area called the pulp, becomes bruised or damaged. The pulp is where the nerves and blood supply to your tooth are located. When this area becomes compromised, inflammation and fluid builds up inside your tooth. The fluid buildup causes tooth pain, which can be severe.
Some of the reasons you may need a root canal include:
- Severe tooth decay which has penetrated the pulp of your tooth
- Dental trauma from an accident or injury
- Repeated tooth stress due to grinding, clenching, or biting hard substances
- Repeated dental trauma for any reason
When inflammation of the pulp happens, you may notice signs and symptoms like these:
- Pain that increases when you eat or drink hot or cold foods or beverages
- Pain that continues even after dental treatment is completed
- Pain that radiates to your jaws, face, or head
- Sharp pain when you bite down or chew
- A white or red bump appearing on your gums next to a tooth root
- Blood or pus draining from the bump on your gums
- Your tooth becoming darker or grayer compared to the teeth next to it
If you notice these signs or symptoms, it’s important to visit your dentist. Dental x-rays and temperature testing are two important ways your dentist can tell if you need root canal therapy.
If you do need a root canal, it’s easier than you think. Your dentist simply creates a tiny opening in the top of your tooth and removes the diseased tissue through the opening. A sedative filling is placed inside your tooth. This material will eliminate inflammation and pain. After your pain has subsided, the sedative material is removed and replaced with an inert material and your tooth is sealed up with a small filling.
Root canal therapy is the way to eliminate tooth pain and still keep your tooth. Your smile is important, and root canal therapy can save it. For more information about how root canal therapy can help you, call Drs. Joseph and Theodore Gargano at Gargano Family Dentistry in North Haven, CT, today!
Chomp on something your tooth didn’t like? Or get hit in the mouth with a baseball?
If you think you may have a cracked tooth, or if you’re holding a piece of your tooth in your hand, follow these steps!
1. Give us a call to schedule an appointment 203-239-2356. Let us know about youremergency and we will make our best effort to see you right away.
2. If there are tooth fragments that have fallen out, preserve them in a clean container with a moist solution (cold milk, water, saliva), and bring them in to your appointment.
3. Apply a cold pack to your jaw to lessen any pain and swelling.
4. If bleeding, bite down on a gauze pad until bleeding stops
It is possible to have a cracked tooth and not know it. If you have any pain when biting down, or when eating something hot or cold, it’s best to get it checked out.
In order to prevent further damage to the tooth or an infection, it’s very important to contact your dentist and correct a cracked tooth immediately.